NEWS & VIEWS

243 thoughts on “NEWS & VIEWS

  1. Stephen A. Smith Spurned & Says Award An Invitation To Fight Back

    Brookbank • August 17, 2026

    ESPN host and political commentator Stephen A. Smith received the National Association of Black Journalists’ (NABJ) “Thumbs Down” award at its Salute to Excellence gala in Atlanta on Saturday night, and he quickly vowed a strong public response.

    The award was announced during the NABJ’s annual Convention and Career Fair. NABJ described it as recognizing “especially insensitive, racist or stereotypical reporting, commentary… or practices at odds with the goals of NABJ.” For Smith (identified as a sports analyst and political commentator), the citation stated that he “has established a recurring public pattern of disparaging commentary directed at prominent Black women across politics, sports, and media.”

    The group said such commentary “reinforces harmful narratives, undermines the fair and respectful representation of Black women in public discourse, and stands in direct conflict with NABJ’s longstanding commitment to accurate, responsible, and inclusive portrayals of Black communities.”

    NABJ President Errin Haines framed the awards more broadly as a call for accountability, noting that the organization would confront systems and people who make journalists’ jobs harder, even when it involves friends or partners. Other 2026 “Thumbs Down” recipients included FCC Chairman Brendan Carr, CBS News, The Washington Post, and media executive DuJuan McCoy (Circle City Broadcasting/WISH-TV).

    Smith, who has previously appeared at and praised NABJ events (including live First Take tapings in prior years), responded later Saturday on X (formerly Twitter). He wrote: “This is the epitome of Christmas arriving early. The @NABJ wants to call folks out, fine! You had your turn, now mine is coming. And make no mistake…..,I’m coming. Let’s see who REALLY deserves a Thumbs Down award when it comes to the Black Community, after I say my peace! Remember @NABJ, you asked for it. I’ve shut my mouth for years. Now y’all started something.”

    The move marks a notable break in the relationship between Smith—one of the most prominent Black voices in sports and political media—and the NABJ. Coverage notes prior points of tension, including Smith’s public criticism of figures such as Rep. Jasmine Crockett (D-Texas), as well as comments involving Kamala Harris and Michelle Obama. NABJ did not detail specific comments in the award citation itself.

    As of the latest reports (early Monday), Smith has not yet delivered a full follow-up response beyond the social media posts, though he framed the award as the start of a broader public dispute. Reactions online and in media have been polarized.

    Reporting: thegrio.com, awfulannouncing.com, latimes.com, thewrap.com

    Reply

  2. Accusations Put Gutman In Bad Light

    Brookbank • August 17, 2026

    CBS News chief correspondent Matt Gutman has been named in a wrongful-termination lawsuit filed by former ABC News field producer Samira Said, who alleges he made inappropriate sexualized remarks during two work assignments while both were at ABC.

    Said filed the complaint on August 14, in Los Angeles Superior Court. It names Gutman, American Broadcasting Companies (ABC), The Walt Disney Company, and former Los Angeles bureau chief David Herndon (plus Doe defendants). Claims include discrimination, hostile work environment harassment, retaliation, failure to provide reasonable accommodation, wrongful termination, and intentional infliction of emotional distress under California’s Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA), among others. She seeks compensatory and punitive damages plus attorneys’ fees (amount exceeds $35,000; exact figure unspecified).

    Said worked as a field producer in ABC’s Los Angeles bureau from about May 2021 until her termination in March 2025. Gutman (who left ABC for CBS in early 2026) is accused of contributing to a hostile work environment based on sex/gender through two specific incidents while she was on an otherwise all-male team with him and two crew members:

    While waiting in a public queue on assignment, Gutman allegedly initiated a discussion rating a female correspondent’s appearance by assigning a numerical score based on physical attributes. The male crew joined in assessing the woman’s body and looks; they tried to involve Said, who declined and called the conversation inappropriate.

    On another occasion (a press day related to a film release), the two disagreed about whether the team should leave the work site. In front of multiple coworkers, Gutman allegedly made a sexualized insinuation that Said must have an after-hours date in the city and that this explained her reluctance to relocate. The suit calls the remark demeaning and said it reduced her professional judgment to a sexualized stereotype.

    These form part of broader claims against ABC/Disney involving alleged mishandling of medical accommodations (e.g., after COVID and covering the 2022 Uvalde school shooting, plus a later workplace injury during the January 2025 Los Angeles wildfires coverage), discrimination, demotion/retaliation, and eventual termination on March 5, 2025.

    Gutman, 48, is a longtime journalist (previously ABC’s chief national correspondent) who joined CBS News as chief correspondent in January 2026 (based in Los Angeles; also lead for 48 Hours and contributor to 60 Minutes). He has won Emmy, Peabody, and other awards and authored The Boys in the Cave.

    CBS News and a representative for Gutman have declined to comment (or stated they had not seen the complaint at the time of some reports). ABC has not publicly commented in the coverage reviewed. The allegations are unproven in court; Gutman has not been accused of criminal conduct. Said’s attorneys have said they hope the suit leads to “meaningful change” in workplaces.

    Reporting from outlets including USA Today, Variety, The Hollywood Reporter, Deadline, TheWrap, TMZ, and others that reviewed the complaint. The case is in its early stages.

    Reply

  3. Nexstar begins replacing TEGNA board

    Brookbank • August 17, 2026

    (August 6) U.S. District Judge Troy Nunley that said the composition of the Board contravened a hold separate order issued as part of a broader antitrust lawsuit.

    This week: Four of five current or former Nexstar executives appointed to TEGNA’s Board of Directors have resigned, and the fifth will do so when a new Board is created, the company said in a court filing.

    Reply

  4. ABC Leans Liberal Says Terry Moran

    Brookbank • August 17, 2026

    Former ABC News correspondent Terry Moran admitted on Friday that his longtime network was liberal and struggled to understand President Donald Trump’s supporters because its newsroom lacked political viewpoint diversity.

    Co-host of “The Fifth Column” podcast Michael C. Moynihan asked Moran directly, “Is ABC News a liberal institution?”

    “Yes. But I think, I think like a lot of mainstream media, it’s because of lack of viewpoint diversity,” Moran said. “That was one of the problems in covering Trump. Nobody had voted for him.”

    FOX News

    Reply

Comment Here

Comments may be held for review by the Admin before being posted.





Media Position: